Merry Christmas one and all!
It’s been quite an eventful year for my whole family! My dad,
Ross, accepted a job at Brigham Young University Idaho as a professor in the
agriculture department. In June, my
family moved from Burley, Idaho, to a tiny town called Teton, Idaho, which is
about seven miles northeast of Rexburg. They bought a small farmhouse with some
land; they later added on another 1000 square feet and the house is quite
comfortable and mostly finished now.
My youngest sister, Stephanie, settled in quickly and joined
the high school volleyball team. Next spring she will be participating in Distinguished
Young Women, which is a pageant where she will demonstrate skills in poise,
talent, fitness, and interview.
My other sister, Stacie, and her husband Scott (but we all
call him Mooch), bought a house in Burley. Soon after that they also got a
mastiff puppy named Gus Gus. But, there was more adventure in store for my
sister…she was called as her ward’s young women’s president!! She’s 22. She
gets along well with kids so I know she’ll do an awesome job. Mooch is working
as a paramedic and taking some classes on the side.
My brother, Jared, met a charming young lady, Kathryn, in September
2013. After he sang in church she was instantly smitten and it wasn’t too long
before he was googley-eyed for her too. They got married in the Oakland Temple
in August. Kathryn has been a great addition to our family and we love her.
Jared graduated from BYU-Idaho in April and started a master’s program studying
agronomy (plant stuff) at the University of Minnesota this fall.
As for me, I’ve had quite a few life changes myself. After
graduating from BYU-Idaho in exercise science in April 2012, I got a job in
Idaho Falls as a physical therapy technician (helper to the physical therapist). I enjoyed the work environment and
I met some fascinating people. At the beginning of this year I applied to several physical therapy schools. I was accepted to a university in New Hampshire and
to Rocky Mountain University in Provo, Utah. I wasn’t too excited about New
Hampshire, so I chose Provo. I started school in May and I’ve hardly had a spare
moment since! In addition to school I attend institute, run, go indoor rock
climbing occasionally, and manage to have some random adventures when I'm not studying. I am not
dating anyone, but I have made several friends.
As I reflect on the changes my family and I have had this
year, I see how evident the Lord’s hand has been in each of our lives. As I
have struggled through many challenging classes, I have been impressed with how
my journey is similar to the one my pioneer ancestors embarked on. When the
path is difficult or daunting, I am reminded of the lyrics for “Come, Come Ye
Saints.” “Come, come ye saints. No toil
nor labor fear. But with joy, wend your way. Though hard to you this journey
may appear, grace shall be as your day...All is well.” It is the grace and
power of the atonement that allows us to have joy and press forward even in
great trials. I am grateful for the gift of Jesus Christ and I know that He is
my Savior and Redeemer. Things aren’t perfect, but I, too, can say “All is
well.”
I love you all and hope you have a very merry Christmas and
happy new year!!
Love,
Emily Spackman

No comments:
Post a Comment